Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sweet and Savory Pork Stir-Fry

In my family, we eat so much Italian food, that sometimes I unconsciously start impersonating Marlon Brando. A couple nights ago I caught myself making my son an offer he couldn't refuse, and I knew it was time for some variety. This is what I came up with!

Ingredients
 -Rice noodles (I actually used pork-flavored Ramen)
 -Pork (I used pork loin)
 -Vegetables
 -Soy sauce
 -Eggs
 -Asian spices (all I had handy was garlic and sesame seeds, but ginger works really well, too)


I started by slicing the pork loin paper-thin with the grain. Cutting it this way allows the muscle fibers to contract more freely during cooking, giving the meat that curly shape characteristic of meats in Asian foods.


After cutting the meat I placed it in a bowl with a soy sauce and sesame seed marinade and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. By cutting the meat thin, the surface area to volume ratio is maximized. Thus, the meat rapidly takes in flavor from the marinade, reducing the amount of time necessary to achieve delicious and juicy pieces. Interesting note: when I took the meat out of the fridge, it had absorbed a noticeable amount of the marinade. We could definitely taste it later!


Next I prepared the noodles by cutting each sheet into thirds. I cooked it in water like the directions specify, but pulled the noodles out of the water before they were fully cooked so that they could finish cooking in the stir-fry. I cooked the meat on high heat. Then I set it aside in the pan and cooked the eggs separately to get nicely-sized pieces of egg. I added the frozen vegetables to the mix, then finally added and finished cooking the noodles.


The most beautiful part of this meal was the sweetness. The noodles had a very mild flavor and the egg added very nicely to the texture. The sweet peas and carrots contrasted very nicely with the savory-saltiness of the pork. I topped it with a little bit of black pepper and paprika to add a slight pungent note. This meal was truly a masterpiece, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment